Question:
why does my cultery have rust stains on it when it comes out of the dish washer and my cultery is not cheap?
dave.hudders
2006-03-24 11:50:52 UTC
i use rinse aids and expensive tablets and dishwasher salt
Eleven answers:
TeeDawg
2006-03-24 12:17:21 UTC
There are a number of different grades of stainless steel. Your cutlery, while made by a quality manufacturer, was probably made from a lesser expensive grade stainless steel. Get one with high chrome / nickel content.

Stainless steel is "stainless" because the chromium combines with oxygen in the atmosphere and forms a fine film of chrome oxide on the surface of the metal. This layer protects the steel from rusting. Lesser expensive grades have a lesser chrome content with higher percent of iron and will discolor but still not rust under normal conditions around the home and kitchen. Contact with a steel cutting knife in the dishwasher may leave a rust deposit on the stainless, but this should be able to be cleaned off easily. Again, buy a better grade of stainless and it will stay nice looking for a long time.
tmb
2006-03-24 11:58:11 UTC
Stainless steel means just what it says stain LESS not stain free. Even stainless steel will corrode and rust if it comes in contact with another metal surface - like a fork or a spoon.

My best bet is that you are using the heat from the dishwasher to dry the dishes instead of drying them by hand. IF so, STOP.

You need to wash you're fine cutlery by hand with a gentle cloth. NEVER, EVER use steel wool or harsh abrasives to wash your cutlery.

Been cooking for a long time as a master chef and know how to take care of my tools!
?
2016-12-18 15:54:27 UTC
that's concern-free to do away with a rust stain. Get some CLR (Calcium-lime-rust remover) from ironmongery shop. Sprinkle a number of it on the white dish and enable take a seat for a jiffy, then wipe off. Repeat as needed. you will do away with the full stain.
GetMeTheBigKnife
2006-03-25 08:25:40 UTC
Knife care:

Rule number 1. NEVER put knives in a sink filled with soapy water - someone else might come along and NOT know they are in there, resulting on a nasty cut.

Rule number 2. NEVER put knives in a dishwasher - you just don't!

Rule number 3. Wash knives by hand and wipe with olive, or vegetable oil, some of my knives are old, but VERY good and it keeps them looking nice.

Rule number 4. Never store knives in a drawer (the knife drawer). It will dull them from the clanging. Buy a magnetic knife holder and mount it on the wall. Evaluate your home in case of small children! Or make a knife bag with slots for each knife and roll it up to store - much like a painter would do for brushes. I did this for catering purposes and loved it.

Rule number 5. Your cutting surfaces - don't cut on those fancy marble cutting boards - Its knife suicide!
2006-03-24 11:58:37 UTC
You may have carbon steel cutlery in which case you should hand wash and dry it. Some very fine cutlery is made from carbon steel. I gave mine up because it was a pain to care for it.

If you have stainless it sounds like it isn't a good quality stainless or it wouldn't rust.
M_Benson_98_98
2006-03-24 11:53:52 UTC
Maybe your cutlery isn't made from stainless steel. Over time some metals can erode. I don't think that your dish aids have anything to do with it. Some materials don't hold up well over the years.
2006-03-24 14:04:56 UTC
My friend has had this problem too I don't think dishwashers are cutlery friendly stick to hand washing for your next set I haven't had any problems and my friend and I purchased ours together at macy's
joey322
2006-03-24 13:04:25 UTC
it amy not be dishwasher safe.

i have a very nice set of knives etc. and they can be put in the dishwasher, but it's recommended to wash by hand.

read your warranty instructions
sunshine
2006-03-24 12:02:26 UTC
the outer protective layer is worn and your down to the metal. unlike cast iron that you can treat, you need the cutlery to be down to the bear finish. thats too bad , we never know what we are going to get!
bacardifreak2002
2006-03-29 00:36:24 UTC
NEVER RUN YOUR CUTLERY THROUGH A DISHWASHER!!

NEVER USE ABRASIVE STUFF TO CLEAN YOUR CUTLERY!!

THOROUGHLY DRY YOUR CUTLERY BEFORE STORAGE!!

Kitchen gospel
coke freak
2006-03-27 21:03:20 UTC
it is in the water the water might have to many minerals in it